Appearing on Charlie Rose last week, the chef of Spring Restaurant joked with his interviewer about hosting a dinner for people who share the name, or a connection with the name Daniel Rose. At the time, […]
Moments before walking into this newest member of La Régalade family, I read the following lines from a review by Alexander Lobrano: Ever since he took over the original La Régalade in the 14th arrondissement from founding chef […]
After the summer holiday, Pierre Jancou will reopen Vivant Table with a new chef and more serious culinary aspirations. Vivant Cave will open next door around September 15, offering small plates, sandwiches, plats du jour, and plenty of natural wines. […]
According to the newspaper Le Parisien, three Paris restaurant were recently busted for trafficking in cocaine. The historic L’Escargot Montorgueil, which has been serving the namesake gastropods for more than a century, has in more recent times been serving rails as well as snails. […]
After the wild success of Le Camion Qui Fume, Paris now has a second food truck to stalk. The Cantine California opened for business on Saturday April 1st, selling burgers, carnitas, and red velvet cupcakes at the Marché Saint-Honoré. […]
It’s truffle season in Paris, and the knobby tubers are turning up on restaurant menus all over town. Many people, however, don’t know their Alba from their elbow, and can’t understand why a kilo of fungus might sell for thousands of euros. Are are some basics, with a little help from truffle maven Patricia Wells. […]
Gail Simmons recently returned to Paris for the first time in a decade and (helped in part by your Twitter suggestions) ate her way through the city. She named the sweetbreads at Spring and Frenchie’s cod with smoked eggplant as two of her favorite Paris tastes. But what else did she put in her mouth? […]
For the 4th year in a row (see past results below), a bakery in Montmartre has taken home the top prize. Congratulations to Pascal Barillon of Au Levain d’Antan! We’ll report on the remaining top 10 results as they are revealed later tonight. You can click on any of the links to see these bakeries on our Google map, and you can visit Our Guide to Paris Bakeries for practical information and reviews.
- Le Chateaubriand – #9 in 2011, up from #11 in 2010, #40 in 2009
- L’Astrance – #13 in 2011, #16 in 2010, #11 in 2009, #11 in 2008
- L’Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon #14 in 2011, #29 in 2010, #18 in 2009, #14 in 2008
- Pierre Gagnaire – #16 in 2011, down from #13 in 2010, #9 in 2009 #3 in 2008
- L’Arpège – #19 in 2011, not ranked in 2010 or 2009, #46 in 2008
- Alain Ducasse at the Plaza Athénée – #45 in 2011, down from #41 in 2010, not ranked in 2009, #18 in 2008
Photo Bruno Verjus (Food Intelligence)
Michelin Guide France 2011
The Michelin Guide has just announced its annual star shower, with the following changes for Paris restos:
- New 3* designations: none. This is the first year since 1992 without any new three-star restaurants. Le Cinq was rumored to be a contender, but will remain a 2* for at least one more year.
- New 2* designations: Passage 53, L’Atelier Etoile de Joël Robuchon, and Jean-François Piège.
- New 1* designations: Frédéric Simonin, Les Ambassadeurs, Le Baudelaire, Sensing, Antoine, and Le Fourchette de Printemps.
- Deletions: La Table de Joël Robuchon (now closed) and Montparnasse 25.
Book Reading & Signing December 18 (Saturday) at Spring Boutique: contributing editor Alexander Lobrano will be hanging out, sipping Champagne and signing/selling copies of the new edition of his must-have guide to Paris restaurants (Hungry for […]
Parties December 10 (Friday) at La Cuisine: A holiday party & book signing with three of our favorite Paris authors: contributing editor Alexander Lobrano (Hungry for Paris), David Lebovitz (Ready for Dessert) and Heather Stimmler-Hall […]
Free (or really cheap) Wine Tastings in Paris December 3 (Friday) at La Dernière Goutte: a free “Happy Hour” tasting with winemaker Julien Labat (Jura) accompanied by a good Comté from the same region. From 4:30-7:30pm […]