Of all the questions we’re asked about dining in Paris, “where to eat in Montmartre?” is among the most frequent and the most difficult. It’s a charming area (when you get away from the place du Tertre), and the bakeries are impressive, but the Butte is largely barren when it comes to good restaurants. There are, however, a few fresh options. We’ve listed our five favorites, along with a few backup options that don’t totally suck.
Five Great for Dinner in Montmartre
- Guilo Guilo – take a break from the Amélie schtick and settle down at the U-shaped bar for some sake and contemporary Japanese.
- La Table d’Eugène – this back-of-the-hill bistro is packed with both locals and New York Times-reading gastronauts.
- Miroir - a stylish bistro in the heart of Abbesses, they also run a no-reservations wine bar across the street, in case the resto is booked up.
- Le Bal Café – modern British with an emphasis on nose-to-tail cooking inspired by chef Anna’s time at St John Bread & Wine in London. Great wine list and brunch menu, too.
- Chéri Bibi – this flea market-decorated joint is where you’ll find the cheapest prices, the most traditional French cooking, and the youngest crowd. On the east side of the hill, toward Château Rouge.
On the fence: Chamarré Montmartre
About our process: For each topic, we begin with a little research to identify options. We then ask our readers, by posting a question in the forum, to offer additional suggestions. From that discussion, we compile a list of candidates and ask our panel of contributing advisors to rank their top choices and identify any rejects. Their rankings are weighted, analyzed, and compiled into a new Five Great post every week. Runners up are places who received more positive votes than negative comments. Restaurants tagged “on the fence” received an equal number of positive and negative votes. Rejects are places that received only negative comments with no positive votes.
More delicious Five Great lists:
- Six Great for Wild Game
- Five Great for a Box of Chocolates
- Five Great with Kids
- Five Great for Groups
- Five Great for Vegetarians
- Five Great for Ice Cream
- Five Great for Outdoor Dining
- Five Great Places for Oysters
- Five Great Places for Sunday Dinner
- Five Great Steak Frites
- Five Great Baguettes