In Paris, where a restaurant’s popularity seems to be inversely related to the number of seats, dining in a big group isn’t easy. Try booking for ten at a twenty-seat spot and you’re likely to be laughed right off the phone. But don’t despair – there are a handful of Paris restaurants that can welcome groups (of greater than six) with excellent food and reasonable prices. Here are our favorites.
Five Great Places for Groups:
- Les Papilles – a downstairs chamber for wine glugging, rugby watching (warning: no-choice menu)
- Dans les Landes – several long tables let you gather a group for tapas
- Drouant – lots of big tables and private rooms at this classic address near the Opéra
- Astier – the private room can seat forty, the cheese plate could feed an army
- Le Chapeau Melon – one long table to seat your friends, low wine prices to keep them watered (warning: no-choice menu)
Rejects: Aux Lyonnais
About our process: For each topic, we begin with a little research to identify options. We then ask our readers, by posting a question in the forum, to offer additional suggestions. From that discussion, we compile a list of candidates and ask our panel of contributing advisors to rank their top choices and identify any rejects. Their rankings are weighted, analyzed, and compiled into a new Five Great post every week.