- Our Guide to Paris
- About the Mouth
- Discussion Forum
- Tours & Tastings
- Taste of Montmartre
- Best of the Marais Food Tour
- Taste of the Historic Les Halles Market District
- Taste of the Latin Quarter
- Tour de Fromage – exploring the exceptional cheeses of France
- Sweet Paris: the Chocolate & Pastry Extravaganza
- The Bar à Vin Scene: Wine Bars of Eastern Paris
- Taste of Saint-Germain
Frenchie. Unfortunately, as François Simon so eloquently put it, scoring a reservation is “simply hell. The gates of prison must be more welcoming.”
So where else can you go when you want of-the-moment, cosmopolitan market cooking, in a casual setting that won’t break the bank? We asked our contributors, and here’s what they said.
- Rino Our group loves Giovanni Passerini’s mod Mediterranean menu.
- Frenchie Bar à Vins This no-reservations, small plates annex to Frenchie is an obvious choice, but if you want a seat, arrive at or before 7pm, when the doors open.
- L’Office This neighborhood bistro in the 9th was recently revamped to much praise, with American Kevin O’Donnel at the stove.
- Au Passage “Edgy modern French comfort food,” is how Alexander Lobrano describes James Henry’s cooking at this bare bone wine bar in the 11th.
- Le Galopin This bistro on place Sainte-Marthe was taken over in late 2011 by by Top Chef winner Romain Tischenko, whose pristine seasonal cooking will please produce fetishists.
About our process: For each topic, we begin with a little research to identify options. We then ask our readers, by posting a question in the forum, to offer additional suggestions. From that discussion, we compile a list of candidates and ask our panel of contributing advisors to rank their top choices and identify any rejects. Their rankings are weighted, analyzed, and compiled into a new Five Great post every week. Runners up are places who received more positive votes than negative comments. Rejects are places that received only negative comments with no positive votes.
- Daniel vs. Danny Rose: the battle for America-in-Paris
- Ridha Khadher wins the Best Baguette in Paris competition
- Paris by Foot, for Boston
- Mimolette on Lockdown
- Passard’s Poubelles
- Pop-up brew pub pairs craft beer & comfort food
- Terroirs d’Avenir opens in Paris
- Jacques Genin has stopped making pastry
- RIP: Spring Boutique closes its doors
- Food by Fashion: The Sporting Project pops again
- Agapé Substance now a little light in the kitchen
- Paris’ First Pop-Up Beer Bar
- Pierre Jancou spanks magazine for “fradulent” free meal request
- James Henry to show his Bones
- Fashionistas get Fat (Radish) in Paris
- Five Great for a Box of Chocolates
- Five Great for Galette des Rois
- Five Great for Hot Chocolate
- Six Great for Wild Game
- Five Great for Oysters
- Five Great for Crêpes
- Five Great for Last Minute Booking
- Five Great Frenchie Substitutes
- Five Great Places for Outdoor Dining
- Five Great for Ice Cream
- Five Great Steak Frites
- Five Great with Kids
- Five Great for Inexpensive Chinese
- Five Great for Vegetarians
- Five Great for Macarons
Books by Our Contributors