Judging by the listings in our own Guide to Paris, at least half of Paris restaurants are closed on Sunday. Visitors to Paris, including veteran restaurant critic S. Irene Virbila, are continually confounded by the number of closed doors on dimanche. To help our readers find options that are open, we created a widget (in the column at right) that lets you search for restaurants based on the days they are open. Now we’re going one step farther and asking our Contributing Advisors – a group of food-obsessed Paris writers – to name their favorite spots for capping off the weekend.
So where can you get a good dinner on Sunday in Paris? Our overall favorite is (no surprise) Fish – La Boissonnerie. All five of our selections are presented below according to the number of votes each restaurant received.
Five Great Places for Sunday Dinner:
- Fish – La Boissonnerie - a left-bank haven for Anglos, wine lovers, and food writers on their day off (don’t be surprised if you see Ina Garten or Patricia Wells in the corner). The bar area makes Fish ideal for solo diners, too.
- Drouant – a historic restaurant with a poulet-frites special (roast chicken and fries) every Sunday at lunch, and more elegantly updated classics, including great seafood, at dinner.
- Le Verre Volé – a relaxed hole-in-the-wall near the Canal where you can buy a bottle from the shelf and share a cheese plate, some boudin noir, or octopus carpaccio.
- Les Fines Gueules – boasts a central location near the Louvre, natural wine, ingredient-driven fare like burrata/buffula, hand-cut steak tartare and veal carpaccio, and it’s relatively easy to get in.
- Breizh Café – lacy buckwheat galettes, artisanal ciders, briny oysters, and salted butter caramel crêpes, all for under 20€ a person.
Runners up: L’Avant Comptoir, Café des Musées, Yam’Tcha, Le Comptoir du Relais, Café Constant, Christophe, Charbon Rouge, Le Marcab, Shan Goût, La Rotonde, Bar du Passage (Senderens), Tricotin, Likafo, Pulcinella, La Cave de l’Os à Moelle, Chez Georges, Le Reminet, Le Pacifique, & Rimal.